Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Eggplant and Tomato Pizza

   Do you hate eggplant as much as I do? I'm sure you do because it's really the ugly stepchild of the vegetable world I think.  There's not much else to do with it except cover it with breadcrumbs and tomato sauce and call it a day. But no one likes it that way. NO ONE. It's just a crappy alternative to Chicken Parmesan, and I'm not buying it~!

   So in being adventurous, I came up with this recipe for veggie pizza one day and I almost forgot it was even made with eggplant! With some cherry tomatoes and garlic sauteed in coconut oil and then topped with feta cheese, it's really simple to make and is a great way to incorporate more veggies into your life! And it's pretty tasty too if I do say so myself ( which I did say, and I agreed)

   I personally used a gluten free crust, which was gross and I will not do again, but I do recommend using this whole wheat pizza dough recipe from Whole Living. I've made it several times and have frozen several batches and it works every time!


Recipe:

1 medium organic eggplant, chopped with skin left on
8 oz ( half a container) Organic Cherry Tomatoes halved
1 garlic clove, diced
1 Tablespoon unrefined organic coconut oil
Whole wheat pizza crust ( see recipe above)
Feta Cheese crumbles
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste



   Saute eggplant, tomatoes and garlic in coconut oil on medium heat. Cook until eggplant becomes soft and you are able to mash it using a fork or a potato masher- about 15 minutes. Add Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste. Spread onto whole wheat pizza crust. Top with crumbled feta cheese. Bake in oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until crust is well done.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment