Thursday, September 6, 2012

Spicy Sweet Corn, Tomato, and Onion Salsa

   With cooler weather on its way, I will be in my cooking prime. That means I will be able to actually cook inside without frying myself to a crisp along the way. Score!

   And this year more than ever I will be focused on healthy eating/ living in accordance to what my body is telling me to eat in these fall/winter months. After several nutrition books later, all going into detail about the best possible foods for optimal health, I've found that there is no single right way to eat healthy. So I try to grab a few key ideas along the way that really resonate with me. Those being eating seasonally, listening to my body's needs, and eating the correct foods together to optimize digestion and nutrition.

   As we head into one of my favorite seasons, it's only proper that I enjoy the last of the summer's tomatoes and sweet corn. And since the weather is so finicky, a few warming spices added to this Salsa really help to encourage digestion and boost immunity. It can be used as a salsa or a starter salad to your meal. You could even add some quinoa and cheese an serve it warm as a main dish. The possibilities are endless!

Recipe:

16oz organic frozen sweet corn, defrosted
1/2 small Vidalia onion, chopped
4 large Roma Tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed line juice
1 handful fresh cilantro, diced finely

Combine above ingredients in bowl. Adjust spices if not strong enough for you. Serve as desired.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment