Friday, August 30, 2013

Nug's Corner: Baked Tortilla w/ Spinach, Feta and Hummus

   Some days are easier than others. And with a toddler and another baby on the way, compromises are not only in order but absolutely necessary for survival. So while I would love to be in the kitchen day in and day out making every meal from scratch, that's just not possible.

   Besides, although Nug likes to help and imitates me cooking, he's not getting the one on one attention he deserves when I have all those dishes from the prep work to do. That's why I leave them for my husband..........= )

   So here's my take on a decent lunch that I know Nug is sure to enjoy (maybe not every time because let's face it, kids are weird) and is much healthier than a few of the "kids lunchbox" ideas I've seen floating out there on the Internet.

   The key however to making meal time options more convenient is to stick to the best alternative possible you can find if you are not going to be making food from scratch. That means choosing foods that are Non-GMO, Preservative free, and free of additional additives, soybean or other harmful oils.


Recipe:

1 whole wheat tortilla (I use Maria and Ricardo's Tortilla's or Whole Foods)
1 tbsp. garlic hummus (Check the label and opt for a hummus that does not contain potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate or other additives) 
1/2 cup fresh organic baby spinach 
1/2 oz crumbled Sheep's milk feta

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lay the tortilla on a flat surface. Top with hummus. Layer on top of that the baby spinach, finely diced for kids or spread out for adults, and then sprinkle with feta cheese. 

Bake on a non-stick pizza pie pan for 15 minutes. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment