Friday, April 13, 2012

The Dark Chocolate Cure

Chocolate lovers beware, this recipe is not for wussy taste buds.

   After my son was born, I kicked my pregnancy weight's sorry little ass out of town. However it did leave me one parting gift and that was a nasty sweet tooth. So don't be suprised that I'm not wiping off my sugar doormat waiting for the weight gain visitor to come knocking again. But alas, I must make amends with my love for chocolate somehow.

   I stumbled upon this recipe (Bittersweet Chocolate Tart) from Whole Foods a few months ago while looking for a Valentine's Day dessert. And it was soooo good that I have made it several times already. But then I got to thinking. I could do better. So here is where I got creative, and boy did I pull a David Ortiz on this one (home run, get it!!?)

   The original recipe calls for a tart as the base however I made my own gluten free graham cracker crust instead. The WF recipe also called for heavy cream and milk but I used two ripe bananas and almond milk.

And that my friends is where my healthy little sweet tooth kicked Whole Foods butt.

Feel free to use a pre-made graham cracker crust or tart if you wish, but who knows what crap is in that anyways.


Recipe:

4oz Ghiradelli's 60% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Bar
4oz Ghiradelli's 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar
2 medium sized bananas, pureed
1 cup almond milk
1 cage free, organic egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust:

1 box gluten free graham crackers, chopped finely in food processor
1 stick Earth Balance Butter, melted

* Combine chopped graham crackers with melted butter in a bowl. Form crust in a glass Pyrex dish and pre-bake in oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, Let cool. Re-form if necessary*



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you plan on making the Gluten Free Crust, do this about 20 minutes before you begin making the rest of the ingredients. After crust is made, puree bananas in a food processor. Add bananas and almond milk to a saucepan and heat on low until warm. Add the chocolate to the banana/almond milk mixture until chocolate completely melts, stirring often. Once chocolate has melted, in a separate bowl combine egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and sea salt together. Add the chocolate mixture to this bowl. Once completely mixed pour into graham cracker Pyrex dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for an additional 15 minutes. Once cooled, chill in refrigerator for an hour or more. Serve with your favorite organic berries!
 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment