Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tabbouleh salad

   I do love me a good tabbouleh salad. However I have always preferred to make my foods from scratch( Did I mention that I cant wait for my garden to be fresh and fabulous?) So no store-bought Tabbouleh for me. After some careful research, I found so many ways to make "Tabbouleh" that I decided to just use what I had on hand. Most recipes call for Bulgur but I generally avoid wheat products. I like to feel light on my toes,which is something that wheat does not do for the digestion system. Just thinking about the whole wheat waffles I ate this morning makes me want to take another nap.

  So, I used millet instead, which is a great whole grain option, however for fairer taste buds I would recommend golden quinoa or tabbouleh. And try to source your veggies and herbs locally if you can! Season permitting of course. Growing herbs in pots on your kitchen window or deck is a great option for those of you who are green thumb or space challenged! Or check out Local Harvest for a CSA near you. We signed up for a great organic farm CSA this summer and I can't wait to share with you some great recipes I'm going to make with all the veggie deliciousness we will be having!

   That being said, I typically don't discriminate when it comes to veggies, but this recipe definitely calls for a Roma or Heirloom tomato. Cherry or Grape are just not going to cut it. So make sure to use either of those varieties. I also added some fresh sweet mint, curly parsley, green and white onion, and some lemon juice.

    I typically eat this with a nice green salad with avocado, strawberries, and apple cider vinegar beforehand. Toss a tablespoon of Chia Seeds on top too. This salad preps you for the whole grain in the tabbouleh and you will feel great afterwards knowing you ate so clean ! Try out a few meat-less meals each week and you will feel great!

Recipe:

1/2 cup Millet (Or Golden Quinoa)
2 cups water (or follow directions for the grain you are using)
1 large Heirloom Tomato (2-3 Roma) diced
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
1/2 small organic Vidalia onion, diced
3 green onion stalks, white and green parts diced
3-5 fresh sprigs of curly parsley, chopped finely equal to 1/4 cup
5-7 fresh sweet mint leaves, chopped finely equal to 1/4 cup
sea salt and expeller pressed olive oil to taste

Prepare millet, Quinoa or tabbouleh per directions ( 1/2 cup Millet with two cups water on stove top till tender) Dice the tomatoes, onions, herbs and toss into a bowl. Add millet or the grain of your choice to veggie/herb mixture. Squeeze in fresh lemon along with a Tablespoon of Expeller Pressed Olive Oil( to combat dryness of Millet). Add Sea Salt sparingly to taste.

*Note you could also use Apple Cider Vinegar to replace Lemon. I enjoy both and use large amounts in my version. Add more lemon if you feel it is not enough*
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment