Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Citrus Smoothie

   So fresh and so clean, clean! I long for the summers that are filled with locally grown (my own and from our CSA) fruits, vegetables, and herbs. But being a New England native, shopping seasonally can really render your taste buds to feeling totally blah.

   I try to maintain a good balance between fresh salads, smoothies, and cooked meals to avoid feeling too cold or too heavy. Eating raw foods can be a challenge during the winter months according to Ayurvedic principles due to the fact that your body naturally craves more filling, heavier foods. So I try to pair my cooked and raw meals with warming spices such as cinnamon (and various other spices not related to this post) Although it is best to avoid cold drinks and food, I feel much more focused and have more energy when I continue to drink my smoothies for breakfast.

   In following proper food combining, I came up with this smoothie to start my post- holiday cleanse off right. I paired several acid/sub-acid fruits together to come up with a citrusy, yet satisfying concoction. I skipped the greens this time, however 2-3 cups of baby spinach would be a great addition!

Recipe:

1 organic navel orange
1 organic kiwi
4 frozen organic strawberries
1 organic pear
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup filtered water

Directions:

Combine ingredients in blender until smooth. Enjoy fresh or stored in mason jars for up to 3 days.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment