Monday, December 10, 2012

Kale, Cucumber, and Onion Salad

   With so many possibilities in a salad pairing, sometimes all you really want is for someone to throw it together for you and take out the guesswork as to what to put in it. That's why I always enjoy going out to eat and getting a good mixed green salad before my meal. Somehow, no matter where I go, they always seem to make it better than me. However, that's not to say I can't pull a good salad together myself, it's just that sometimes I just don't have the energy. ( Don't believe the hype when people tell you eating healthy will give you all the energy you need. I have a child. And I need coffee. And I don't care, it's not enough! It helps, but it's not enough!)

   Needless to say, as with any salad, all you really need is a few flavors that work well together and you can add just about anything you want to it. With this version I knew I wanted a slightly tart, salty pairing so I went with a greek inspired mix. You could add tomatoes and Kalamata olives if you wanted, or even pass on the feta cheese with a goat cheese or Pecorino Romano. Maybe even toss in some roasted pistachios, almonds, or walnuts, It's all up to you! But this salad will give you a good base to start with.

Recipe:

2 cups organic baby kale, washed and shredded
1/2 organic cucumber, peeled, and chopped into 1/4 pieces
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
2 small organic garlic cloves, grated with a cheese grater
1/4 organic lemon, squeezed fresh
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup EVOO
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
Cracked black pepper to taste

Directions:

1.) Begin by washing and preparing your veggies. Using a potato peeler, peel the skin away from the cucumber and save the strips and place into a bowl (No need to waste the skin!)

2.) Next add in the chopped cucumber and onion.

3.) In a mixing cup, combine the grated garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, cracked black pepper, and olive oil.

4.) Toss the cucumber and onion mixture with the dressing and place in fridge for a few minutes to chill.

5.) Crumble feta, remove mixture from fridge, and toss with Kale. Enjoy!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment