Thursday, December 13, 2012

Coconut Carrot Date Cookies

  It goes without saying that eating healthy is not easy. It is time consuming, not to mention costly, but the benefits are 100% worth it. Because if we don't have our health, then what do we have? And no, I am not 100% perfect in achieving the ideal meal each and every day. But I sure as heck try because life is too short to take chances on eating food that is harmful to my health. And I don't believe the bullshit of " ...On my death bed I'm really going to wish I ate more of XXXX instead of all that healthy crap...." I'm going to thank the Lord that I had the tools to make the life I had the best one I possibly could by being concerned about what I put into my body.

So that's my goal here. To share with you the recipes I make in my own home, courtesy of a desire to lead the best life I can. While eating good food at the same time. I can't promise you will love everything I share, but sometimes the best recipes are made with a little tweaking of the ingredients and calling it your own!

<<<Gets down from soap-box>>>>>

So here's my truth:
 
 I like cookies as much as the next person does. But after eating so little processed foods these days, I've really lost my taste for sugary treats. That is to say, processed sugary crap. On the other hand, I totally enjoy a good all natural alternative like eating dates or fruit to curb my sweet tooth.

   Although my adventures in adapting regular recipes into much healthier versions don't always end up tasting that great (because its all about trial and error), some of them really stand out as winners and I feel like I should share them. However, I am starting to wonder if I need more people willing to try out the recipes I create though since my husband will eat just about anything.....

 




Recipe:

10 Medjool dates, pitted and soaked in 2 cups hot water until soft
1/2 cup organic baby carrots
1 cup organic shredded coconut (with an additional 1-2 cups for rolling dough in)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 cups rolled oats (not instant or quick)
1 cup organic all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp ground sea salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 organic free-range egg
1/4 cup 100% pure all natural maple syrup (Kudos to you if it's local!)
1 cup organic raisins

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place medjool dates in hot water and let soak for ten minutes until soft. Reserve the date water for later use.

2.) Pour oats onto a cookie sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes until slightly brown.

3.) In a food processor or blender, combine dates, carrots, coconut, and 1/2 cup almond milk. Add in reserved date water until smooth and mixture is no longer sticky.

4.) Combine oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and ground spices in a bowl.

5.) Add in date mixture, egg ,1/2 cup almond milk, and maple syrup. Fold in raisins once well mixed.

6.) With a small spoon, scoop out dough, roll into a ball with hands, and dip into shredded coconut so that it covers the entire cookie. Place onto cookie sheet and flatten with hand.

7.) Bake for 9-11 minutes. Allow to cool before enjoying!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment