Thursday, July 4, 2013

Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce

    Although I'm not a big meat eater, I had been dreaming of this dish for days. As always, I like to sample a little bit from several different recipes to try to come up with my own perfect version. And this was no exception.

   Traditionally, a chimichurri sauce is used with grilled meat, but I found the sauce to be so darn delicious that I'm thinking of making it into a great salad dressing version as well. You could even try it on seafood, grilled veggies, or raw greens.

    But back to the point here. I originally served the grilled steak with arugula, red onions, and grated Cojita cheese and topped it with the warm steak and chimichurri sauce. And that was fabulous. But when I went to heat up leftovers the next day, I decided to wilt the arugula with the cheese, steak, and chimichurri sauce and it was EVEN BETTER. So much so I almost cried and decided I could eat this everyday of my life.

Well until the point where I realized I don't even really like meat all that much...


   I did use both the skirt steak and chimichurri sauce the next day to make baked fajitas too. Equally as amazing, so be on the look-out for that recipe too! I will be sure to follow up and post that as well!

Recipe:

Meat:

1.5 lbs all natural grass fed skirt steak ( No antibiotics or hormones EVER)
coarse sea salt

Sauce:

3 garlic cloves
1/4 red onion, chopped (equal to 1/3 cup)
2 sprigs fresh spearmint
16 fresh small basil leaves
1 cup  fresh cilantro (large handful, be generous)
1 cup  fresh parsley (large handful, be generous)
1 Tbsp dried oregano (I did not have fresh on hand)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp Organic Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/3 cup EVOO

Salad: (May be prepared fresh or slightly warmed up in a skillet)

4 cups fresh organic arugula
1/2 red onion, sliced (soaked in ice water bath for 20 minutes, then rinsed) also optional
1 oz grated Cojita cheese ( or Feta)

Directions:

1.) Begin by prepping the meat by rubbing it with coarse sea salt and letting sit for 15 minutes. Afterwards, remove salt and pat dry.

2.) In a food processor, combine above ingredients for chimichurri sauce. Roughly pulse until slightly chopped. You do not want this mixture to be totally pureed.

3.) Marinate Steak with chimichurri sauce in refrigerator for two hours. Remove and let meat come to room temperature for 15 minutes before grilling.

4.) Coat grill slightly with oil to ensure meat does not stick. Grill each side of the meat for about 6 minutes.

5.) Place salad ingredients on a plate and top with steak. Cover steak with additional chimichurri sauce.

6.) Say a little amen, prayer, or whatever you'd like for how awesome I am for sharing this recipe with you.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment