Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Grilled Summer Squash and Herb Orzo Salad

   Admittedly, Summer Squash is one of my least favorite vegetables. There are not many vegetables I dislike or that I won't be willing to try, but this one really requires serious coaxing to get me to eat it. But since I'm stuck with it in my weekly CSA, and am doomed to receive it for weeks on end, I have to come to terms with my dislike for it.

   Thus, I decided to really pull out the big guns and create a dish that would incorporate the summer squash without it being the main feature. While there are plenty of great recipes out there for grilling, adding it to breads, or tossing it in a salad, all of those were not high on my list of appetizing options.

   I will say that I have enjoyed summer squash on grilled veggie kabobs before so this is where this recipe sort of came from. I decided it would be best to marinate the summer squash and grill it to bring out a smoky flavor rather than the sorta-stringy icky taste I so associate it with normally. In choosing to pair it with Orzo, a pasta product I typically don't eat, I knew that this dish would be best served chilled rather than hot. So I prepared it the night before and was pleasantly surprised as the flavors jived quite nicely come lunchtime and I almost forgot what I was really eating!


   While not a truly perfect food pairing combination dish given the Feta, Pine Nuts and Pasta I added, it still garners attention due to the fresh herbs and veggie/nut protein it packs into it without the use of meat. So it's a trade-off. One that should not be eaten or combined all the time, but it's certainly OK to cheat once in awhile.

Recipe:

Marinade:

1 large organic summer squash, sliced into 1 in thick strips (easier to grill)
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
1 Tbsp GF Low Sodium Organic Tamari
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped

Dressing:

2 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 sprig oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
sea salt
cracked black pepper

Pasta Ingredients:

1 cup dry organic orzo, cooked according to package (al dente)
1 shallot, diced or 1/2 small red onion
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts, (soaked in water for 1 hour, drained, and rinsed)
1 oz organic feta cheese ( Or sheep or goat milk feta)

Directions:

1.) Marinate Summer Squash for one hour in a BPA free plastic Ziploc bag, occasionally tossing to make sure each slice is covered. Grill on medium high heat for several minutes, until each side is slightly soft.

2.) Cook Orzo accordingly to directions on package. Drain and rinse under cold water.

3.) Combine above ingredients listed for dressing in a medium size bowl.

4.) Add in remaining pasta ingredients to bowl along with dressing. Toss well.

5.) Once slightly cooled, cut summer squash into small chunks and toss into pasta mixture.

6.) Place in a glass or BPA free container in refrigerator to chill, or serve immediately.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment