Monday, December 31, 2012

Chili Sweet Potato Wedges

   I love fries. Specifically hand-cut all natural ones. I have been known to frequent certain restaurants for such fries. However mainstream sweet potato fries seem to be these days, I find that they are always lacking in flavor. Whether it be from the quality of the sweet potato, to the oil they are drenched in, they just don't do much for me. So I always end up sticking with the good ol' white potato staple.

Except for when I make them at home myself.

  However, in order for them to truly taste better than the average restaraunt, you have to buy organic. There is a huge difference in taste, let alone the lack of chemicals, wax, and pesticides that conventionally grown sweet potatoes contain.

 Most times, I simply wash and cut the sweet potatoes into wedges and bake them for 15 minutes and they are delicious on their own. They tend to caramelize in their own juice in a delicious way that requires no extra ingredients. This method is a great way to introduce sweet potatoes to babies as one of their first finger foods. My son digs them regardless of how I make them.

    But sometimes, I like to spice it up a bit on the flavor end. In this version, I added Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar ,Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and ground chili powder. By adding a component of fat in the form of EVOO, the bio-availability of the beta-carotene in the sweet potato is more easily absorbed. The apple cider vinegar also helps to add a crispness to the wedges without having to use unnecessary high heat while roasting.

Recipe:

3 medium organic sweet potatoes
2 Tablespoons EVOO
1 Tablespoon Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp ground chili powder


Directions:

Wash and cut sweet potatoes into thin wedge slices. Toss with EVOO, apple cider vinegar, and chili powder. Place onto an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake in oven at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment