Thursday, March 14, 2013

Vegetarian Southwest Burritos

   While I try to only feature perfectly combined foods, especially recipes that do not include dairy, meat, or processed ingredients, sometimes I have to share my less than ideal ones too. But when I do, please note that these items should never be part of your weekly meal plan. Because we want to focus solely on eating foods that are clean, energizing, and great for our health. So take this recipe for what it is, a great treat that should be enjoyed until the last bite, but saved only for special occasions.

   Which is what I do when I make these burritos. Although I don't make them for a special occasion per se, I make them because my Dad loves them. Which saying he loves them is the understatement of the year.The man lives and dies for these burritos. So I try to make them for him once a month. Otherwise he begs for my burritos and tells me that if I sold these in a restaurant, he'd order them every time. Who says flattery gets you nowhere??

   All kidding aside, I make them for him because it makes him happy. And creating happiness is the main goal in life, isn't it?

Recipe:

16 tortillas (I used Rudis GF Spinach Wraps)
1 cup organic chopped spinach or kale
1 cup organic frozen corn (must be organic otherwise it's GMO)
1 can organic black beans( BPA Free can, try Edens Organics)
1/4 cup chopped jalapeños
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
12 oz organic Mexican shredded cheese
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika if you don't want it real spicy
EVOO for dusting tortillas

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, combine the above ingredients and mix well. Spoon roughly about 1/2 cup of mixture into tortilla and wrap well. Use a toothpick to hold the burrito together if necessary. Cover burrito with EVOO and place into a long Pyrex dish.

Bake in oven at 375 for about 20 minutes or until top of burrito begins to brown.

Pin It

 

No comments:

Post a Comment