Monday, March 11, 2013

A Carrot Cake Worth the Calories

   In honor of the best man on earth's birthday, after my my daddy of course, I tried to come up with a stellar healthy version of a carrot cake for my husband.


 
   But two crappy, flavorless, sugarless, and healthy versions later, I gave it up and made the real thing. Sugar and all. Because sometimes it's best to stick with what you are good at. And while I can certainly dole out healthy recipes galore, my healthy baking habits have permanently taken a backseat. The fact that my husband had a puppy dog look on his face that read "please don't screw up my birthday cake and make it all healthy on me" may or may not have had anything to do with it....

I guess the man deserved a damn good birthday cake after all.

   And it was damn good. So good that I ate half of it before he even got home to see it. So good that he ate the other half in one sitting. So good that I sure am glad my birthday is next month so I can make it again....

Recipe:

2 organic gala or fuji apples, steamed and pureed or 3/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
1/2 lb or 2 cups organic baby carrots, grated
1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes
1/2 organic raisins
1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1 1/4 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp course sea salt
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unrefined organic coconut oil, melted

Lemon Icing:

1/2 lemon freshly squeezed equal to 2 Tbsp
1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk


Directions:

 Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

1.) Begin by chopping apple into cubes and steam them until soft. Puree the cubes until smooth.

2.) In a food processor, grate the carrots thinly.

3.) In a bowl, combine grated carrots, applesauce, coconut flakes, raisins, and spices.

4.) In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.

5.) Combine the flour mixture with the carrot mixture. Add in liquid coconut oil and water. Mix well.

6.) Pour mixture into a greased pan ( I use coconut oil spray) and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan.

7.) In a blender or small mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, powdered sugar, and almond milk. Gently pour over cake and place in refrigerator to firm icing until ready to serve.

Pin It

 


No comments:

Post a Comment