Monday, October 7, 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash, Carrots, Red Onion and Quinoa

   This recipe is hands down my new favorite. Although I was tempted to make this a curry coconut version (which by the way is getting a little overplayed in my household thanks to pregnancy # 2), I'm so glad I didn't because the flavors in this dish are so complimentary I can't think of doing it any different.

   Butternut squash is a deliciously sweet veg (ok it's actually a fruit) that is packed with Vitamin A, Calcium, Potassium, and Beta-Carotene...just to name a few. And well, quinoa is a complete protein, a super food and growing super trend in it's own right, mainly because it packs a huge nutritional punch with all the calcium, iron, and fiber it contains.

 
(Disregard the picture, I ate mine cold the next day when I took this. However it looked much more vibrant when warm)
 
   I highly recommend doing yourself a quick time saving favor and purchasing your squash either already peeled or peeled and already cut up. It will cost you more per lb. that way and you need to make sure you use it up within a reasonable time frame, but I find that it is such a bigger hassle to do the work yourself. And I'm all about convenience these days. However, if taking the time to scoop out the cuts, peel the skin, and cube the squash yourself is your thing, be my guest.


Recipe:

1/2 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
5 small carrots, cut into small chunks
1 red onion, diced
2 tbsp. unrefined coconut oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
Cracked black pepper
1 cup dry quinoa/ 2 1/4 cups water
3 tbsp. organic low sodium tamari

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

1.) In a mixing bowl, toss cut up squash, carrots, and red onion with coconut oil, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, and black pepper to taste. Transfer to a cookie sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly tender.

2.) Prepare quinoa according to directions. (Some are pre-washed and come with specific directions however I find it's a simple 1 cup dry quinoa to 2 1/4 cup water ratio. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Cover and simmer until water evaporates and you can see a white ring around the grain)

3.) Once quinoa is cooked, toss with 3 tbsp. tamari. Add in baked veggies and mix well.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment